26.7.15

Targowa Six By Nine

The building dates back to nineteen sixty-three
at that time it was the jewel of a bare crown
for those were difficult days down in Praga North
where and when horsedrawn carts roamed free.

Whatever stood here before the building rose up
nobody in Warsaw seem to know for sure
if I spoke their same language, I could ask better
and perhaps gaining access to an old battered cupboard
along one wall of a single roomed pre-war flat
there at the very first floor of a tenement house
What treasure I've found! What treasure I'm shown!
It's a thick crispy stack of Praga North photographs.

I see long bygone people and many things past
I see the parallel scalpels of straight trolley tracks
cut open the wet slabs of stone of once paved streets
I see you and I see who could have seen me
had I moved to the building back in nineteen sixty-three.


Targowa AD 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment